Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube My Space Blogger

User Tag List

Threaded View

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation UKDFD enhancements and major site overhaul.

Hi Everyone.
    I just thought I would give you a little more information on the UKDFD coming upgrade and site enhancements.
    Rod and I spent quite a while on the phone yesterday going through the new software and how it could be customised for UKDFD.

Please watch this space for further information and I will try and keep you all updated as much as I can.

Kind regards,

Gary.

P.s Any donation to UKDFD would be of great help.
    As you know that the site is run by volunteers and Gordon Heritage and I pay for the server and software for the site.
    The money donations we have coming in does not cover the expenses we have. You support would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    The new database software has now been purchased and the work required to customize and configure it for the UKDFD will begin immediately. This enables us to answer a number of queries that have been raised, and to provide further general information.

1. The new software will provide for the printing of individual records, and it will also be possible for recorders to create their own pdf files.

2. The new software will have a fully functional search facility with multiple options. (The present search facility is defective and only searches the first few record fields.)

3. Recorders will be able to preview records they are uploading before submitting them.

4. Clicking on a record's thumbnail images will correctly enlarge them for viewing. (This feature ceased working on the present database some time ago.)

5. The appearance of the database will change significantly (beyond recognition!), but textual details and images will be unaffected.

6. Recorders with subscriptions current when the present database was closed for recording will have their annual period extended to compensate for the full period the database is unavailable for recording.

7. The income from subscriptions is insufficient to cover normal running costs, let alone new software, so we will be looking at other possible means of generating income. The new software has many options in this respect, so we will be reviewing these.

8. A lot of work is required to configure the new database, so we ask all users to be patient while it is undertaken. In the meantime, we will keep the present database online on a 'read-only' basis as much as we can. There will, however, inevitably be periods when this isn't possible. Recorders can continue to post finds for identification on the forum.

If anyone has any particular queries, please post on this thread and I will try to answer. I cannot yet estimate when the database work will be completed. As you will know, all UKDFD staff work on an unpaid voluntary basis, and their availability is affected by other personal factors.
    Last edited by GaryBrun; 19-04-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    It's worth taking a look at the tips on our website if you haven't already done so:

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/photography.html
    http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/scanning.html

Thread Information