A late medieval to early Tudor period purse bar, complete with swivelling suspension loop and part of the pendent frame. The bar has a central shield-shaped boss with short, slightly tapered, circular-section side bars and globular terminals. The central boss is decorated on each face with an indented chevron. One side bar retains a significant portion of the pendent frame, which has two pierced peripheral lugs for attachment to the fabric of the purse. The large suspension loop is ovoid in shape and has three collars at its base.
Metal purse frames were fashionable towards the end of the medieval period, making their first appearance around 1460. By 1550 they were no longer fashionable and except for a few illustrated examples from the latter part of the 16th century, purses progressed to being much simpler in design being made almost entirely of cloth or leather.
See also UKDFD 3597.